The Women’s International Study Center (WISC) held its founding ceremony on June 23, 2013, to inspire and enable women to achieve their goals.
Inspired by the women of Acequia Madre House and their work in the arts, sciences, cultural preservation, and business, WISC was founded to carry the women's legacy into the future through Fellowships related to these interests. The WISC Fellows-in-Residence program provides scholars, artists, authors, and others with “a room of their own”—residency in a fully furnished houses—to advance their work and engage with our community.
To date, WISC has supported over 70 individual fellows from 7 countries, covering a vast range of topics and disciplines of local and global interest.
ACEQUIA MADRE HOUSE
Built in 1926 by Eva Fényes, Leonora Scott Muse Curtin, and Leonora Frances Curtin Paloheimo, Acequia Madre House is a registered historic building nearing its 100th anniversary. The house sits on 3 acres in the historic section of Santa Fe just off Canyon Road and the property includes a caretaker cottage, gardens, and grounds. Acequia Madre House is a separate entity from WISC and through a partnership WISC Fellows are granted unprecedented access to the extensive Fényes-Curtin-Paloheimo Archives and Collections at Acequia Madre House during their residency.
The Acequia Madre House blends past and present by exhibiting contemporary art in a historic setting.